Monday, February 6, 2012

My Girls

Jake mentioned to me last week that I have a lot of "girls" that I often refer to as "my girls." My activity days girls (my church calling), my friends, my sister, my students, and of course my basketball girls. This post about "my girls" is referring to my basketball girls.

This year I had the wonderful privelege of coaching the Springville Junior High Knights girls basketball team. what.a.blast!! Seriously! Even though it wasn't the most successful of seasons, I loved it more than I ever could have imagined. When I was first hired on I started thinking about all the hours that were going to be put into this team and the amount of money that was going to be received at the end of the season... let's just say it didn't add up... However, the reward and "payday" I got in the end, was better than any amount of money I could have been paid. I had the opportunity to get to know each of these girls on a personal level and experience a different outlook on junior high life.

I saw the girls come together as a team when times were tough and I saw just how strong these individual girls could be. It opened my eyes to just how great the future can be; I would be comfortable with the world in the hands of these young ladies because I am confident in their abilities, not only on the basketball court, but in life in general.

As the season came to a close I got teary eyed thinking about the fact that I may never see some of these girls again. I didn't want to sound like a creeper 21 year old asking for these 15 year old girls for their phone numbers... so I let myself let go of the girls. I encouraged each of them to come back and visit me whenever they would like. It was a great season, even if we didn't get very many wins or a huge paycheck at the end. I wouldn't trade this season for anything. Thanks to "my girls" for many wonderful memories and for helping me become a little bit better of a person just by knowing you.




No comments:

Post a Comment