Wednesday, September 21, 2011

HELP!

So I am having some trouble with some students and I think I need an outside perspective on how to attack this issue. I have asked several other educators and some of my previous classmates and teachers and none of the answers seem to be working too well... So here is the situation...

I have two different girls with two different problems. The first girl won't stop talking no matter what I do! I have moved her seat on several occasions trying out different people and different areas in the room. Didn't work. I have subtracted points for the day because she won't stop talking. Didn't work. I have had personal one on one conferences and "contracts" with her. Didn't work. I have called her parents. Didn't work. I have given her five minutes at the start of class to get all her chats out so that she can listen during class. Didn't work. I have provided several break-out sessions where talking is allowed. Didn't work. WHAT DO I DO? All input is greatly appreciated.

Girl number two... she has absolutely no desire to work in class whatsoever. I have sat with her on several occasions helping  her through each problem which has caused me to neglect other students and she still doesn't want to work. I have paired her with other students but then she is mean to them. I have given her individual time to work on it but then she just distracts herself with other things. Another problem that is even worse is that she is a bully. She calls people names, makes racist comments, talks back to me, disrespects others property and on several occasions she has even gotten physical with other students. WHAT DO I DO? Once again, any and all input is greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!!

3 comments:

  1. Punch 'em. That's what I do. Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't know me but I used to live in Roosevelt for a few years in Jr. High and got to your blog from Danielle Todd's. I hope it is ok that I am commenting. :)

    I don't know what grade/age you teach but when I taught 4th grade (I recently quit to be at home with my baby) I had this same issue with a little boy. He wanted attention so bad he would do anything to get it. I tried a ton of things just like you and I found that he responded much better when I reinforced when he was acting appropriately. We set up a system where he had a sticky note on his desk (you could put it inside her desk if she is embarrassed) and every time he was on task or raised his hand or did anything good, I would wink at him. That was our signal that only we knew so that he would get to put a mark on his sticky note. Then at the end of the day he would get a prize based on the number of tally marks he had. If I was walking by sometimes I would put a tally mark if he was on task. I asked for his input on the prizes too, so that he was working for things that he actually wanted. Some would be tangible things, some would be 5 min of extra computer time or 5 min of my undivided attention. I would also meet with him before recesses and lunch just to check in with him on how his day was going so far. Depending on how bad it is, you could have her add them up during the week and give a weekly prize or do something small for a smaller amount of time. I don't know what the age is of the kids you work with but this worked for my student who was in 4th grade. I hope that this makes sense! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. for the second one i would DEFINITELY talk to her outside of class. if that doesn't work call her parents. once again if they do nothing send her to the principal. she can always do work in the counselors office as well...they're old enough to know better. if all else fails. fail her.
    the first girl, put her in the corner. have a "special place" removed from EVERYONE in the class where she is facing a wall. remind her if she can't act like an adult she won't get treated like one. also tell her that it's better to be a part of the class than to be removed from it. once again she can just do work out in the counselors office or in the hallway.
    ps hailey told me that you are looking for assistant coaches in basketball? i may be able to help with that if you need it:) just facebook me!
    ashley

    ReplyDelete